2012 Bodacious

Three classic varietals combine in this head-turning wine that will not be denied.

A dramatic wine that celebrates the winemaker’s art of blending…

Openly fruity, lush and layered, the 2012 Bodacious displays tantalizing aromas of cassis, cocoa and sandalwood with a bright fruit entry of Bing cherry, black raspberry and elderberry flavors that push through and persist to the end. Velvety chocolate melts on the mid-palate, joined by cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean and black pepper spice notes. Full-bodied and supple-textured, the wine is made in a ripe style that ends in a long, juicy red fruit finish. 

The words most often used to describe the 2012 vintage in Napa Valley are “classic” and “perfect.” Ideal weather conditions fostered a timely spring bud-break, steady flowering and even fruit set, and the lengthy stretch of warm days and cool, foggy nights during the summer months allowed grapes to reach optimal ripeness. The three varieties in our 2012 Bodacious blend – Cabernet Sauvignon (34%), Syrah (34%), Malbec (33%) – were grown in three distinct vineyards in the Rutherford and Napa Valley appellations, including our Komes Ranch in Rutherford.

Each lot of grapes was sorted, crushed and quickly placed in stainless steel tanks for fermentation. The grapes underwent extended maceration to extract additional color, tannin and flavor from the delicate skins. Once dry, the lots went into a combination of French (90%) oak and American (10%) oak barrels for a period of 21 months. We used a combination of new (45%) and seasoned barrels (55%) to ensure the fresh fruit flavors were supported, but not overwhelmed, by the oak. The wine was assembled after a series of intense and lively tastings with much discussion to determine the final blend.

 

Quick Facts

 

Appellation Rutherford, Napa Valley
Varietal 34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Syrah , 33% Malbec
Case Production 257
Aging 21 months in 90% French, 10% American oak barrels
Price $ 50/Bottle
ACQUIRE